Bring Your Own Device
ELHS requires each student to bring their own personal, portable computer or device.
Please review the full policy below. Click here for a printable copy.
Minimum Specified Requirement:
- BYODs must have a minimum screen size of 10 inches diagonally.
- BYODs should have battery power to last an entire school day and be fully charged at the start of school. Student may not plugin their BYODs during class time.
- BYODs must have enough storage space for the device’s operating system and a web browser. BYODs should be able to run Office 365 apps and other educational software. (128 GB of storage is a recommended minimum.)
- BYODs must be Internet capable via WiFi connectivity. BYODs should NOT have cellular capabilities (i.e. 4G or LTE).
- BYODs should be able to create and edit common document types (i.e. word processing, spreadsheet, and presentations) either via an application or web browser.
- BYODs must have a suitable, durable bag / cover for protection.
- BYODs must have physical keyboards (detachable or external Bluetooth are acceptable).
Strongly Recommended Features
Along with the minimum must haves, these are strongly recommended features:
- BYODs with digital inking capabilities are highly recommended (touchscreen with stylus).
- BYODs with the capability to run the desktop version of any Office 365 applications. Devices that can access only the Chrome Apps or Website versions will miss out on beneficial features.
- Strongly consider BYODs that have SSD (solid state drives).
- Students are encouraged to bring ear buds to utilize the sound on their BYODs.
- Students may not use the BYODs’ speakers to listen to sounds in class.
- Large over-the-ear headphones should not be brought to school or worn around the neck during class or passing periods.
What other factors should be considered?
- BYODs should be robust and durable enough to handle school life. A rubberized or sturdy screen design is important.
- Students should buy insurance for their BYODs in case of accidents, theft, or natural disaster. One company, Worth Avenue Group, provides insurance specifically for mobile devices.
- BYODs should have the current, updated operating system provided by the manufacturer.
- Security software is recommended for all BYODs as it applies to their operating system.
Types of Devices
What are the devices to look for as a BYOD product?
- Windows 10 tablets / laptops / hybrid devices
- iPads with a minimum of 128 GB of storage
- Apple MacBook laptops
- Most Chromebooks
Are there general examples of suggested devices?
- Dell Latitude 13 Education edition
- Surface Pro, Surface Go, Surface Book, or Surface Laptop
- Lenovo ThinkPad
- HP 360 ProBook
- MacBook Air
What to Avoid
What to avoid if possible!
- Low-cost PCs with traditional hard drives. SSD units are much preferred.
- PCs laptops without touch screens. Touch screens are used in mathematics and science.
- Gaming laptops with large 17” screens that are heavy.
- Devices with poor battery life (less than 6 hours real battery life).
Evergreen Lutheran High School
7306 Waller Rd E | Tacoma, WA 98443 | ph: 253-946-4488 | fax: 253-529-9475 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Evergreen Lutheran High School is committed to offering a quality, Christ-centered education which prepares God's children to serve him now, and forever.