ELHS requires that all students have a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) as the student’s primary digital learning tool. For the 2018-19 school year, ELHS is requiring students to provide a BYOD tool for use at ELHS. The following specifications are required of the BYOD tool to be used at ELHS. Smartphones are not approved for the BYOD program. Students who need a loaner BYOD from ELHS will be charged $10 per day.
Minimum Specified Requirement:
- BYODs must have a minimum screen size of 10 inches diagonally.
- BYODs should have battery power to last an entire school day and be fully charged at the start of school. Student may not plugin their BYODs during class time.
- BYODs must have enough storage space for the device’s operating system and a web browser. BYODs should be able to run Office 365 apps and other educational software. (128 GB of storage is a recommended minimum.)
- BYODs must be Internet capable via WiFi connectivity. BYODs should NOT have cellular capabilities (i.e. 4G or LTE).
- BYODs should be able to create and edit common document types (i.e. word processing, spreadsheet, and presentations) either via an application or web browser.
- BYODs must have a suitable, durable bag / cover for protection.
- BYODs must have physical keyboards (detachable or external Bluetooth are acceptable).
Along with the minimum must haves, these are strongly recommended features:
- BYODs with digital inking capabilities are highly recommended (touchscreen with stylus).
- Strongly consider BYODs that have SSD (solid state drives).
- Students are encouraged to bring ear buds to utilize the sound on their BYODs.
- Students may not use the BYODs’ speakers to listen to sounds in class.
- Large over-the-ear headphones should not be brought to school or worn around the neck during class or passing periods.
What other factors should be considered??
- BYODs should be robust and durable enough to handle school life. A rubberized or sturdy screen design is important.
- Students should buy insurance for their BYODs in case of accidents, theft, or natural disaster. One company, Worth Avenue Group, provides insurance specifically for mobile devices.
- The availability of a loaner device is strongly encouraged when repairs are needed to student’s primary BYOD product. ?
- BYODs should have the current, updated operating system provided by the manufacturer.
- Security software is recommended for all BYODs as it applies to their operating system.
What are the devices to look for as a BYOD product?
- Windows 10 tablets / laptops / hybrid devices
- Most Chromebooks
- iPads with a minimum of 128 GB of storage
- Apple MacBook laptops
Are there general examples of suggested devices?
- Dell Latitude 13 Education edition
- Surface Pro, Surface Go, Surface Book, or Surface Laptop
- Lenovo ThinkPad?
- HP 360 Probook
- MacBook Air